Why should I participate in amDeC?
amDeC provides a platform for students to apply their skills on real-world projects and learn along the way. You learn to collaborate effectively and write code according to preset standards. Whether you already know how to code, or have no prior experience, amDeC is a perfect opportunity for you. There are projects for people with any kind of skill set here. You get to interact and share ideas with some great people. At the end of it, you will have made some great friends from all over the world with whom you can discuss fun projects, get feedback on your code, and just about anything.
Who can participate in amDeC?
Any school / university student is eligible to participate in amDeC.
How do I participate in amDeC?
Students can participate by registering on the amDeC website.
Is there a selection criteria for participation?
Students are selected on the basis of the final project proposal sent by them before the deadline.
Do I have to know how to code in order to participate?
Having prior coding knowledge is beneficial but not necessary. You should just have the drive to keep learning new stuff as you progress.
Are there any age restrictions for amDeC?
There are no age restrictions but one should be enrolled in a school/university.
How many proposals can I submit?
Students can submit any number of proposals for the projects available but there will only be one student per project.
Will I get any gifts/rewards?
Participants who clear all three evaluations get an e-certificate along with a T-shirt and some cool swag.
Can I be a mentor and a student at the same time?
A participant can be either a student or a mentor, but not both.
Where does amDeC occur? Do I have to travel somewhere?
It’s an online contest where students have to work remotely by collaborating with their project mentor over the project chat channel and platforms like GitHub.
Which programming languages do I need to be fluent in?
amDeC offers various projects in a plethora of languages/frameworks. The choice of project/programming language rests with the student.
Who is responsible for organizing the event and making relevant decisions?
amDeC is organized by amFOSS, Leading Open Source club in India.
On what basis will I be evaluated?
Student performance is judged on various parameters. A detailed list of the judgment criteria will be announced later.
Can a group submit a proposal together to work on one project?
No, one student will be mentored per project.
What is the last date for applying/submission of proposal?
The last date for applying would be on the 31st of December by 11:59 pm.
What should I do if my mentor is not responding to my questions?
If the mentor is not replying within 24 hours, send us an email at [email protected]. We will look into the matter for you.
What if I have a question not answered in this FAQ?
No issues, just send an email to [email protected] with the request in question. We will reply to your query as quickly as possible.
- What are the eligibility criteria for becoming a mentor?
- Have a project on GitHub.
- Have a dedicated public communication channel for the project, where all the conversations regarding the project will take place.
Why should I participate as a mentor?Having difficulty implementing a feature in your project? Want to spread the word about your project to the world? If so, amDeC is the right place for you! The program provides an opportunity for developers to get help in their projects and collaborate with fellow developers who share the same vision as them.
What is a good project to be brought under the program?
A good Open Source project to propose for amDec
- is established enough to allow collaboration (beyond the set-up phase)
- has a dedicated contact person/maintainer
- is beginner/junior-friendly (open to newcomers; maintains an inviting, helpful and understanding communication and a non-discriminating environment, good documentation, etc.)
- abides by our code of conduct
- ideally also has a Code of Conduct or similar guidelines for the contributors
Can I mentor multiple projects at a time?
As a mentor, you can mentor multiple projects provided that they have officially been accepted as amDeC projects.
What is expected of a mentor?
- Provide ample documentation for your proposed project, including a getting started guide.
- Verify all patches submitted by your mentee
- Ensure that you have sufficient knowledge to meet with your mentee and respond to any questions that may arise.
- Set expectations and milestones for each week and discuss the outcome of expectations during evaluations.
- Keep track of milestone progress to share as evaluations.
- Notify Program Leader of any issues (Lack of participation, communication or vacations).
- Provide evaluation reports.
I'd like to submit my project, but what if I have no time to be a mentor?
For a project to be considered for the program, the students must have someone they can rely on to answer their project-specific questions. Hence, only projects with a mentor will be considered.
How do I submit my project for the program?
Projects can be submitted by registering as a mentor on the amDeC website.
The final project by the end of this program belongs to who?
The final product legally belongs to the mentor. amDeC is just a platform that allows collaboration between a student and a mentor to work on a project.
Got more questions?
Feel free to drop a mail at [email protected]